Mike Tournier DJ set on GK Radio (2nd August 2014)

Today (2nd of August 2014), Mike Tournier (Fluke, Syntax) played a DJ Set on GK Radio that was streamed online. There was no new material but some interesting snippets came out. The setlist was:

My Bloody Valentine – Soon (Andy Weatherall Mix)
Bentley Rhythm Ace – Bentley’s Gonna Sort You Out
Les Negressess Vertes – Zobi la Mouche
Finitribe – 101 (Sonic Shuffle Edit)
Dub Federation – Space Funk
Grace Jones – La vie en Rose
Grace Jones – Love you to Life (maybe Mike Tournier Remix)
Easy Star All Stars feat. Dr. Israel – Brain Damage
Kruder & Dorfmeister – Bug Powder Dust
Louie Austen – One night in Rio
Tom Tom Club – Wordly Rappinghood
Syntax – Pride
The Doors – LA Woman (Paul Oakenfold Remix)
Minnie Riperton – Les Fleur

The set was comprised of older tracks that Mike liked from the party era (as he put it!)

Things we learned:

• Mike T. used to live with Pete Latham of Dub Federation in 1992
  • Mike T. was responsible for the mix of Grace Jones’s “Love You to Life” that appeared in this set. It would be interesting to compare this with other versions to see if this is released but remains uncredited
  • “Pride” by Syntax is remarkably similar to The Doors’ LA Woman, especially the Oakenfold remix!

Post to Twitter

This entry was posted in Syntax and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Mike Tournier DJ set on GK Radio (2nd August 2014)

1. c-eling says:

Crap, the Syntax site is down/expired, hopefully it’s not the end…

2. Andy says:

The Syntax’ website is down? What happened to it? Did Mike and Jan quit the music business? Makes me a little sad getting redirected to the domain host. I was so curious about listening to the 2nd and 3rd part of the Tri-Polar series… And now?

3. c-eling says:

I also, hopefully Martin can shed some light on this

• Hi both,

I’m afraid I have very little info on this. Syntax (and Fluke) have always been sporadic in their output and press/web presence and I don’t think the death of a website means the end of output. That said, the Tri-Polar series is now seriously delayed…

If I get any further info, I’ll pass it on.

Best wishes,

Martin

4. c-eling says:

Thanks Martin, appreciated 🙂

5. Andy says:

Hey cool. The page is back! No fresh news, but it’s online again! A small part of a great news.

6. c-eling says:

Yeah I saw that a couple weeks ago, gave Tri-Polar another spin last night, such a great little ep, hoping for more to come 🙂

7. Pastichio Rocker says:

The K&D tune is actually called ‘Bomb The Bass – Bug Powder Dust (Kruder & Dorfmeister Session). 😉